Scientist, Biology (Lab-Based)
Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for kidney diseases. Chinook’s product candidates are being investigated in rare, severe chronic kidney disorders with opportunities for well-defined clinical pathways. Chinook’s lead program is atrasentan, a phase 3 endothelin receptor antagonist for the treatment of IgA nephropathy and other proteinuric glomerular diseases. BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody is being evaluated in a phase 1/2 trial for IgA nephropathy. In addition, Chinook is advancing CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for the treatment of primary hyperoxaluria, as well as research programs for other rare, severe chronic kidney diseases.
Chinook is building its pipeline by leveraging insights in kidney single cell RNA sequencing, human-derived organoids, and new translational models, to discover and develop therapeutics with differentiating mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Chinook trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol KDNY and has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Oakland, CA.
Chinook Therapeutics is seeking an energetic, collaborative, and industry-experienced lab-based Scientist to join the biology discovery team at our laboratories situated in Vancouver, Canada. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing, performing and analyzing complex in vitro experiments to support preclinical research projects. Extensive hands-on experience in cellular biology, molecular biology, and enzymology is required. The ideal candidate will possess strong teamwork and communication skills, will be a technical leader in the laboratory, and will propose innovative solutions to biological questions. Candidates will work within a multidisciplinary drug discovery team of medicinal chemists, DMPK scientists, and in vivo pharmacologists.
- Design, perform, and analyze in vitro experiments to support the advancement of multiple preclinical drug discovery programs
- Conceptualize, optimize and execute biochemical and cellular assays for compound screening, characterization, and mechanism-of-action studies
- Propose innovative solutions to address biological questions and proactively interrogate research literature with contributions to experimental strategy
- Guide and supervise the technical activities of other team members
- Interact across disciplines with medicinal chemists, DMPK scientists, and in vivo pharmacologists to advance preclinical projects
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture
Education, Experience and Skills:
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. degree with at least 10 years of lab-based drug discovery research experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting. Qualified candidates with more experience are encouraged to apply and job title could be adjusted accordingly
- Extensive hands-on experience in assay development and compound screening
- Strong working knowledge of cellular biology, molecular biology and/or enzymology
- Effective time management skills and a demonstrated ability to balance execution of experiments in the lab with other responsibilities
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, meet deadlines, maintain strong attention to detail, and prioritize work on multiple projects
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and present data in clear manner to internal cross-functional audiences
- Experience in renal biology is an asset but not required
- A strong team player and technical leader with a passion for science and drug discovery
- Positive attitude and high personal and ethical standards
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.
To apply for this job please visit chinooktx.bamboohr.com.