Research Programmer – Jones Lab
Website Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC) Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre (GSC)
Today’s Research. Tomorrow’s Medicine.
Job Reference No: RP_R00008_Jones Lab_2021_07_30
The GSC is looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Research Programmer to work on the next generation of federated genome and health data sharing platform, CanDIG—a Canadian data-sharing platform contributing to the development of an international effort to facilitate information exchange as part of the Global Alliance for Genomics & Health (GA4GH). CanDIG also supports large-scale provincial and national data sharing projects, including BC Cancer’s Personalized OncoGenomics program, the Terry Fox Research Institute’s (TFRI) PROFYLE project and the TFRI-led Marathon of Hope Cancer Centres Network—a major federal initiative to accelerate the adoption of precision medicine for cancer in Canada. This role requires a combination of interest in DNA technology and a strong background in software development.
- Designs, plans and implements computer modeling of research data.
- Works with other project team members to develop and test code, and implements software.
- Develops graphical user interfaces.
- Prepares programming documentation in accordance with prescribed standards.
- Conducts literature reviews and provides input and recommendations to the Department Head or Principal Investigator regarding new computer applications or statistical techniques.
- Participates in the lab meetings and presents work for review by others.
- May provide day to day work direction to others.
Provides contributions to the preparation and/or presentation of research papers.
The successful candidate will have an undergraduate degree in computer science, bioinformatics or a related subject.
- 2+ years of experience in Python programming.
- Previous experience or exposure in the bioinformatics settings.
- Full stack web development experience with web frameworks such as Flask or Django.
- Previous experience in designing, implementing and testing REST APIs.
- General understanding or previous experience in microservice architecture and development.
- General knowledge in Unix environment, Version Control (Git), and Agile methodologies.
- The position requires working with a wide variety of researchers, software developers and clinicians, thus excellent communication skills are essential.
- Experience or knowledge in handling genomics data files.
- Prior experience in developing front-end applications using React.js.
- Experience building rich queries using GraphQL or other data query language.
- Experience working with distributed systems.
- Basic understanding of DNA technology or previous work experience with genetic data is a plus, but not required for the position.
Please submit a detailed cover letter and resume to email@example.com, using Job Reference No: RP_R00008_Jones Lab_2021_07_30 in the subject line of your email.
This posting will remain online until filled.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the position would require working remotely on a temporary basis. This restriction would be re-evaluated upon re-contracting.
As per the current Public Health Order, full vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment with PHSA as of October 26, 2021.
We believe that diversity and inclusivity are essential for the advancement of human knowledge and science.
We welcome all applicants and provide all employees with equal opportunity for advancement, regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction of a criminal or summary conviction offence unrelated to their employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org