Communications Manager, Digital Media
Are you a Science Communications Superstar? Come and join a dynamic, cohesive organization that is at the leading edge of scientific innovation and the heart of BC’s life sciences sector. Genomics is being applied to some of the world’s most pressing social, environmental and economic challenges. This role is your opportunity to contribute to these solutions!
Genome BC is looking for a Communications Manager, Digital Media to create and share compelling narratives about genomics research and innovation and the many exciting ways it is contributing to society. In this role you will manage our social media channels, create written and audio/visual content and project manage our podcast ‘Nice Genes!’
We offer an exciting, friendly and supportive working environment, a competitive salary with great benefits, a flexible and hybrid working model and opportunities for professional development.
About Genome BC:
Genome British Columbia invests in genomics innovation to address critical challenges in key economic sectors such as health, forestry, fisheries and aquaculture, agrifood, energy, mining and environment. In addition to scientific programming, Genome BC integrates genomics into society by supporting responsible research and innovation, and is committed to fostering an understanding and appreciation of the life sciences among educators, students and the public. genomebc.ca
· Integrity is at the core of our decisions and actions
· Empathy is integral to our relationships
· Commitments are honoured with passion and purpose
· Boldness and agility motivate our pursuits
· Curiosity and wonder inspire us
Reports to Senior Communications Manager
This is a full-time, permanent opportunity to join an agile and results-based team.
The Communications Manager, Digital Media is a member of the Communications & Societal Engagement team. Reporting to the Senior Communications Manager, you are an impeccable storyteller who is comfortable creating content for all mediums. You possess both digital and visual literacy skills which you know how to apply to create effective content strategies and stories. You are confident in social media, have a track record of growing online communities and can develop and execute content strategies across platforms. You are a lifelong learner who stays on top of new technology and platforms.
You are an enthusiastic, organized, independent and creative individual with a passion for science and learning. You are an effective collaborator, communicator and team player, willing to roll up your sleeves and tackle any project in order to get the job done. At the same time, you can work independently with minimal supervision and know how to influence and execute a strategy. You possess confidence and experience and aspire to be part of a high energy, creative and driven team. In addition, you’re a strong event coordinator and can organize, market and execute compelling outreach activities. You want to join a team that is committed to ensuring high quality, impactful communications and outreach initiatives.
Core duties and responsibilities:
• Develop and execute a social media strategy incorporating campaign planning and the use of data and trends to build engagement and an online community
• Conceive, write, and develop content for social media and web platforms
• Coordinate all organizational social media accounts. Build and maintain relationships with regional and national social media influencers to increase brand support and awareness
• Monitor, track, analyze and report on social media performance. Plan and execute paid promotion of social media content to maximize reach to target audiences and key performance indicators
• Lead and project manage special communications projects, including the ‘Nice Genes! podcast series. For the podcast: serve as the primary liaison with the production company; guide content creation, topic and episode development; and oversee program scheduling, timelines and production
• Continually seek to improve Genome BC’s digital engagement presence
• Contribute to the Genome BC blog, including (a) writing regular posts about trending or interesting news stories and advancements in science and genomics, and (b) collaborating with Genome BC experts on articles and profiles
• Contribute to the planning, writing and editing of a variety of documents and content such as research updates, newsletters, press releases, annual reports, web content and speaking notes
• Plan and coordinate in person and virtual events to promote community engagement and enhance organizational visibility and credibility
• Liaise with academic, industry, and government partners. Manage budgets and timelines with strict adherence to deadlines and quality
• Contribute to the planning, design and project management of video content
• Collaborate effectively with colleagues across the organization, especially providing support and coaching on social media, encouraging them to feed into the organization’s channels and to feel confident promoting content created by Communications & Societal Engagement.
Required skills and experience:
• Excellent communication, both verbal and written, with the ability to develop audience-appropriate content
• Superior knowledge of social media strategy and tactics
• Proven experience managing large, complex communications projects and delivering a high quality product
• Proficient with Microsoft Office, Google Analytics, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, Hootsuite, and analytics programs. An aptitude with Adobe tools such as Photoshop and Premiere Pro is a bonus.
• Science communications is an asset, and you must possess the ability to distil complex information and synthesize it into compelling and accessible content
• Demonstrated organizational skills
• Proven experience with content and channel integration
• Ability to think broadly and make connections across multiple platforms
• Strong project management skills are essential
• Ability to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team environment
• A related degree such as Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations or Science Communications
• Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
How to apply: Applicants should include a current CV with a cover letter indicating, anticipated start date and the names and contact information for at least two references. Please send the application in MS Word or PDF via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: March, 27, 2023
We thank you for your interest in Genome BC. Only those candidates short listed for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job please visit www.genomebc.ca.